Monday, June 29, 2009

We cannot control when we will die, but we can control how we will live


Thank you to my friends and family for their support during my recent round of hospital visits. This week was an emotional rollercoaster and I was happy to be back at work today. The routine of office life and property management was a pleasant way to spend my day. I especially want to thank my brudda from the islands, for sharing his story and kind words on my blog. Here is a rundown of my week:
Wednesday- Routine follow-up at the doctors office reveals I have a slight deformation in my heart. Stress test ordered immediately! Return to office in a confused and slightly spaced out frame of mind. The best boss in the world notes my condition and offers to buy me a beer. I refuse the offer and try to continue working.
Thursday-UCLA schedules my stress test for Friday which leaves one more day to contemplate my own mortality. I am on the way to class at UCLA and find out it is canceled because MJ died (see previous post as to how I spent my time). I have trouble sleeping and make alot of phone calls that night.
Friday- I awake at 6:00 am for my 9:00 stress test. I leave my house at 7:00 am and somehow make it to the hospital by 7:45. I am one hour and fifteen minutes early for my test but they take me in and prep me. My doctor is named Dr. Diaz, which I interpret as a good sign. Stress test is completed and all test results are positive. I walk out of the hospital feeling like a new man. I drive to the Raider Image and buy a new T-shirt to get ready for the upcoming season.
Saturday- I get up early, put my longboard on the racks, pick-up Mikey, meet Reed and am surfing San Onofre by 9:30 am. We celebrate Jeff's birthday at the beach and I can't help but look at his scar from open heart surgery. I drove home, drop my board off and head out to Dodger stadium.
Sunday- I drive to Palm Springs, hike 11 miles with my brother, come home and go to church. (I made it by 6 minutes) When I am taking a shower I feel really tired and consider skipping church but something tells me I should go. I walk in to church and the sermon for the evening is on death. The show a video of a young married father who has thyroid cancer and the pastor tells us a story about a 16 year-old girl who went to his church who died suddenly. He is in tears as he tells us this story and says "you cannot control when you will die, but you can control how you will live." I go to sleep at 8:45 determined to make the most of my time on this earth.
Postscript: Garrett kicked butt on the hike and I have now summited Mt. San Jacinto with Mike, Paul and Garrett. Check his blog for a great video

8 comments:

  1. "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, rather by the number of moments take take our breath away"...from The Log of the SV "Serenity Now".

    Keep truck'in!

    Mennis

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Meant to say the number of moments that take our breath away NOT take take our breath away. Mennis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep climbing, keep walking, keep surfing, keep living. Live life to the fullest. We love you Matt
    Sandy and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are sooo in touch with the Universe, Matt. Your blog moves me to tears. You are a deep thinker, a kind soul and a stepson to be so proud of. You make the best of every situation and see the lesson within the hardship. You inspire us all. Life is a great adventure with ups and downs. God's test for us is to see how we deal with it all. He's got your back, Matt. Love you, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes indeed make the most of time here...odds are we'll be here for about the next 50 years with good health and good science...so here's to the next 50!!


    "I don't fear death because while I am alive death does not exist and when I am dead I do not exist"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Matt: You have certainly been on a roller coaster ride since Memorial Day, along with those of us that love you so much. One ride I know that you and we would rather you NOT have had to experience. Glad that you had great results on your test last Friday and will be anxious to hear what Dr. Honda recommendations will be. I am sure he will be quite pleased with the results as well. I wish with all my heart that you didn't have to go through what you have experienced these past several weeks. But I know that you realize that you have the love of family and friends that will always be there for you. To me there is no greater gift in life than the love and support of family and friends that is always constant which we so thankfully have. Love you a ton!! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are going to live a long, happy and fulfilled life, my son! It's important that we look at our lives and HOW we live them..that is SO important! That's why I love the Bible...it is a roadmap on how God wants us to live. It helps me get on track, if I get distracted by other things!
    I love how you are thinking about all of this stuff. Good is coming out of that marathon! I love your heart, Matt. And I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete