Tuesday, December 1, 2009

SC Shows it's true colors

People hate USC for it's constant displays of arrogance and the universities perpetual instinct to belittle the little guy. This is why you see SC kids proudly wearing T-shirts in public that say "My maid went to UCLA." On Saturday night the classless coaching of Pete Carroll continued as he decided to throw a bomb in the final seconds of a game that SC had already won. Predictably, the SC players acted as if they just won the Rose Bowl and taunted the UCLA players and generally acted like a bunch of buffoons. The children of the rich, who taunt UCLA kids by pulling out their wallets and waving them at them along with their BMW key rings, acted as if Pete Carroll had just abolished the death tax. But here is something that just might surprise you; even though I hate SC, I loved the call!

I love it when people get cocky in sports. I loved it when Lance Armstrong broke his main rival (Jan Ulrich) in the hills of France and pantomimed firing a gun at Jan with his hand as he passed him. I loved it when Ali would tell people he was the greatest as he pummeled them in the ring. I loved it when Gagne would throw it 100 mph over the middle and dare Bonds to catch up with it. I love Chad Ochocinco for making a list of all the cornerbacks he is going to take to school. Sports is all about matching your best guy against their best guy. If UCLA did not like the call than they should use that anger to get better next year. The thought of Pete Carroll smiling like a chimp in the zoo should keep Neuheisel up at night scheming of ways to beat SC. UCLA should have covered the wide-receiver. They let a guy get wide open and it is UCLA's responsibility to cover him. If UCLA has a problem with SC, they should do one thing, GET BETTER!

On a side note I spoke with two SC alumni yesterday and they both brought up the game. Joe, my Dad's partner had a problem with the call and said Carroll should have just run the ball. Mark, my friend, said he had no problem with the call but he had a problem with the SC players acting as if they just won the national title. It was interesting that two SC alumni were both critical of their school. At least they were not wearing the "I went to SC and my gardener went to UCLA" T-shirts.

2 comments:

  1. Carroll and Neuheisel egos are bigger than the world! I am sure if the tables had been turned Neuheisel would have call the same play. UCLA/SC is one of the biggest rivals in college football. I imagine thing's like this will continue to happen when they play one another. Let's hope UCLA shows up next year and beats the pants off SC. However, I hope that they don't act like the University of Spoiled children did by looking like first graders when they won. Not cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post, Matt. Loved your examples of classy wins in other sports. :o) Denise

    ReplyDelete