Sunday, May 16, 2010

Math with Tasha: 6=15



I had a great time hiking the ENTIRE Zuma Ridge Trailhead with Tasha, Susan and Laurent. Just like Gilligan I set out for a three hour tour of thinking we were going to do an easy six mile hike. But no, Tasha had other plans as she relentlessly marched us up the ridge, down the hill, up the hill, back down and back up again. I am kidding but we did end up hiking almost 15 miles in over six hours. It was a much longer day than I anticipated but I learned a few things along the way:

1) Trail Names- You don't pick your trail name your trail name picks you
Susan aka "Thrifty"
Dennis aka "Elmer Fudd" aka "Rattler"

2) If you go hike with Tasha bring enough food, water, clothes and shelter to feed a small Ethiopian village. As a rule of thumb, whatever mileage she tells you that you will hike, just triple it and than add a few more miles.

3) Laurent will be a great addition to the hike. He is a very cool native of France and he has really got me re-thinking my position on "Freedom Fries."

4) Susan is tan, rested and ready for Mt. Whitney. She did an excellent job today on Tasha's death march and will have no problem on Whitney.

5) I like to look at Snakes ( saw 3 today and got a good photo)

7 comments:

  1. I had a blast. Thanks for making me part of the hiking family ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always up for an adventure, and 6 miles just wasn't going to cut it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day it was!! Definitely need to watch
    Tasha like a hawk next time with regard to the mileage,
    HA! It was very rewarding and satisfying when we "finally"
    reached the trailhead to have Laurent give us the news
    of how many miles we had covered. Can't wait for the next
    hike with a few more of our team joining us. Great post Matt!
    Love ya, Susan aka Thrifty
    p. S. Didn't dare stop by Ralphs when I passed the store in
    Malibu on the way home...... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great hike, albeit longer than anticipated. I LOVE long hikes. Can't wait until Susan and I can do the 1000 Island Lake hike - my favorite thanks to Matt. Oh, and by the way, I think the snake was an Australian import. Lucky you survived. I Love snakes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great day you guys, wish I was there. Did you see any wabbits or wattlesnakes on the woute?

    Elmer Fudd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great hike. All of you did so well.
    Sounds like you all are well prepared for Whitney.
    Love ya Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved hearing about the hike! I hope to join you on one sometime.

    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete