Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Matt talks live music

Last week I went to see Paul McCartney play at the Hollywood bowl and it was an incredible concert. I have really got back into seeing live music due to Saint Rocke (a music club by my house), I tunes (the best thing on the internet) and having enough dough to buy tickets for all the bands that play in L.A. So, today I was thinking about all the concerts that I have seen over the years and I came up with a few new categories and some great memories. I would be curious to hear about your experiences:

1) 1st concert ever:

The Beach Boys after the USC game when I was in 6th grade. This was a classic concert as Kokomo had just been released and the Beach Boys were enjoying a resurgence in popularity. Extra bonus: John Stamos was on drums! :)

2) 1st concert where someone offered me weed

The smell of marijuana is a staple at just about every concert that I have ever been too. (except the Grateful Dead--ironically) The first time I was offered the hippie lettuce was by an oldster at Tom Petty when I was in the 8th grade. (This oldster was a 17 year-old hottie)

3) 1st concert I was at where someone I came with puked during the show from drinking

This would be Keith Black at the U2 concert my sophomore year of high school. He tried to blame it on the Carls Jr burger but we knew better.

4) Hottest Chicks

This is an easy one, Jack Johnson at the Santa Barbarra Bowl in 2002. Good Lord in Heaven!

5) Best Concert

This is a tough one: I am going to go with Pink Floyd at the Rose Bowl in 1994. It was the end of my senior year, I was with all my friends, we had a limo, and the entire world was in front of us!

6) Honorable Mention for Best Concert

U2 at the Rose Bowl, The Police at Dodger Stadium, The Rolling Stones at the Coliseum, The Grateful Dead with Dave Matthews opening in Las Vegas, Jack Johnson in SB, Eric Clapton at the Fourm, Sting at the Greek, too many to name........

7) Best Upgrade at a concert

My last year of college Amina and I went to see Tom Petty at the Hollywood Bowl (we had crappy seats) and they put us in the front row because they were filming that night.

8) Best Festival

The Horde Tour at CSUDH:
I saw the Black Crowes, Blues Traveler and Ziggy Marley

9) Best concert on Foreign Soil

Red Hot Chili Peppers in Sydney, Australia

10) Biggest Surprise

I went to go see Steely Dan at the Nokia and I was blown away at how great Donald Fagen was. I called up Big Goot to tell him I was now a Steely Fan.

11) Best Reggae Show:

Reggae is another vibe and "live" music is more like lets just play a little beat and see what happens here. You don't get fireworks and gizmos but Pato Banton at St. Rocke blew doors.

12) Coolest Music Club on Earth

Mattys Lounge in SB
It was one brief shining moment of pure soul

13) Concert I wish I could see by a dead group/man

This is a really hard one, but I would have to go with Frank at the Sands in Vegas. I think you know why.

14) Concert I wish I could see by a living man/ group

Bob Dylan
I say Dylan play for a few songs with Petty a long time ago and I can't wait to see him.



This was fun and feel free to contribute with new categories!


2 comments:

  1. My best concert of all time was the 1992 u2 concert at dodger stadium....it was November and I came "home" from college to see it.....jennine had gotten floor seats and the entire experience was mind-blowing

    Honerable mentions are too many to name but I'll try....close second is the Peter Gabriel concert in 1993 at arco arena in Sacramento....from there we have the police at dodger stadium....Brian Wilson playing the entire pet sounds album live....u2 at the rose bowl.....the Paul McCartney concert.....the six or so rush concerts I've been to with mark.....and on and it goes....

    I have never smoked pot in my life but the closest I have come is at every concert I have ever been to.

    I would see the beatles if I could see any group that is dead....

    Best concert venue is the Hollywood bowl

    Person I have seen in concert the most ever.....sting 9 times 5 solo and 4 with police

    Next two concerts I am going to......sting and Peter Gabriel

    Concert that everyone thinks is great but I would never go to------Bruce springsteen (the most over rated in history)

    Person I would love to see in concert that I haven't seen.....cat Stevens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh I cannot believe how many concerts you and Garrett have been too. I think we have been to a dozen or so,that's it!

    The Beach Boy's...............2 or 3 times
    The Righteous Brother's.......twice
    Elton John....................once
    Bruce Springstein.............once
    Jimmy Buffett.................once
    Helen Reddy...................once
    Carly Simon...................once

    A couple of people at the Coach House in San Juan but I honestly cannot think who they were, it's been so long ago.

    Posting this sure does date us as evidenced by the artist we have listened too. Oh well there is still time. Love ya, Susan

    ReplyDelete