Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My Partner


It was just an ordinary day in Los Angeles: the sky was overcast, the surf was small, and the economy continued to crumble all around us. I was in my office going through my e-mail when I was hit like a bolt of lightning with an e-mail from a young lad in Colorado. He told me that he was seriously considering running the L.A. marathon with me! Mike and I talked for awhile about training programs, logistics, running in the snow, and the perils of training for a marathon while living in a frat house. I knew that Mike could do it, he knew that he could do it and he announced t me that it is on! I was beyond thrilled to have my partner join me in yet another adventure. If you think about what Mike and I have already done it is truly amazing. Together we have climbed Mt. Whitney, summited Mt. Rainier, surfed and camped in Mexico, snowboarded in Mammoth and backpacked over 40 miles through Kings Canyon! We have done all this together with a smile on our face and constant laughter. This picture of Mike, on a sailing trip to Catalina, really sums up all of our good times together. (notice he is wearing a Mammoth T-shirt) So now we have one more great adventure to go on together. We will be holding each other accountable with our training and doing updates on facebook. I am so happy to have Mike do this with me. Welcome partner, I will see you at the starting line!

9 comments:

  1. Good ole Mike...it'll be a fun race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!! I am sure that Mike would rather be training in So.Cal in the winter BUT it will be a bit more challening for him to train in the snow and the rocky mountain high! What a great marathon it will be. Love ya, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, how great that Mike will be running with you! After all you have done together, this will be yet another accomplishment.
    Love, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Matt,
    Great post about you and Mike running the LA marathon. It really makes me happy that you guys do so many things together.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go runners! Mike is SO blessed to have such wonderful, supportive siblings! The things you and Mike have done together are amazing, bonding and great memory makers. Don't forget hiking the Flatirons in Colorado!
    It will be an adventure for Mike to train in the snow....the Rec track might be used alot!
    Love you much, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome, Mike, buddy. I had the best time when he and I hiked Baden-Powell together. Only wish he could have joined us on Whitney in August. But, he was there with us in spirit. With both of you and your upbeat attitudes it will be a fun race. How great to get to see LA that way. After that, do you want to do the LA 1/2 marathon on 10/24/10? I think I (and maybe even Dad) may be up for it?!!! Hugs and love, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome! Don't think I can keep up with the two of you but I'll see you at the finish line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am soooo blessed! hahaha true OG's

    ReplyDelete