Wednesday, August 19, 2009

10 Years with the Freedom Writers!

Has it really been ten years since I met Erin Gruwell? It is very hard for me to believe that ten years ago a wide-eyed 23 year-old teacher attended a class at Cal State Long Beach and met Erin. Little did I know on the first day of class how this relationship would shape my life for the next ten years! Erin and I became good friends during the semester that she taught my young adult literature class. I began as a volunteer for her inaugural political run and was soon put on the payroll and met people that I am still in contact with to this day. Of course, we lost that race, but soon regrouped to form the Freedom Writer Foundation. I have been working with Erin as a consultant for over nine years and have traveled with her to over twenty states! With the Freedom Writer Foundation I have been to Alaska, Hawaii, Nevada, Arizona, Texas, Pennsylvania, Montana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Michigan, Indiana, New York, Utah, Kentucky, Missouri, Tennessee, North Carolina, Illinois, Minnesota New Jersey. We have spoken everywhere from juvenile halls to the Bacara resort in Santa Barbara. Along the way I have met Bruce Brown, Dan Rathar, Wing Lam (founder of Garrett's favorite restaurant: Wahoo's) Hillary Swank, Patrick Dempsy, Reene Firestone (Holocaust survivor) and the current Sec. of Ed. I was able to be on the set for five days of shooting the "Freedom Writers" movie and I am actually in the film! (for half a second) Amina and I attended the premiere in Westwood where she got to meet Patrick Dempsy. (one of the highlights of her life!) During this time the Freedom Writers Diary has sold over a million copies, I helped to ghost write and edit Erin's memoir and the Freedom Writers Teachers Guide, racked up over one hundred thousand frequent flier miles, and enjoyed the good life of free drinks in private airport lounges across the country. I now also have the honor of serving on the Freedom Writers Board of Directors. (But my Dad refuses to call me the Chairman of the Board at work) The above picture was taken yesterday at the Skirball center as Erin launched her fourth book: Teaching Hope! On Saturday we celebrated Erin's 40th birthday at the Hotel Maya in Long Beach. Next Friday I will be attending the premiere of the Freedom Writer Documentary, Voices Unbound, at the Lido theater in Newport Beach. Erin has been a great friend to me over the years and to think that I picked her class without having any idea of whom my professor would be. It's just like my main man Forrest said, "life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get."

4 comments:

  1. You may not know what you are going to get, but being you, it is always something even better than you expected. You live a charmed life, but you also work hard to get what you want. You have done an awesome amount of things in your 33 years. Way to live and experience all that life has to offer. You are lucky to have met and worked with Erin, but also she with you! Here's to the next 10 years together. Hard to imagine just how much more great achievements you two can realize, but you will. Go for the gusto! Love, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, ha....................no wonder I have been receiving so many updates on Erin. How wonderful that you have been with Erin since the beginning of her sharing her incredible story with the world. She has touched and changed so many people's lives for the better. While you have learned so much from Erin I am sure that she has learned alot from you as well. What an honor to be on the Board of Directors. Keep on lovin' the life you are living!

    Love you, Susan, Mennis and Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad Bruce Brown was at the top of your list.

    Mennis

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, what a nobel cause that you have been involved with! I am so proud of all the contributions that you have made to the Freedom Writers and extra proud that you are serving on the Board of Directors! The future has many blessings ahead for you and you have much to give. I love you very much, Mom

    ReplyDelete