Friday, February 12, 2010

E-media fast

I am currently reading a book called, Amusing ourselves to Death, by Neil Postman. His central thesis is that all forms of public discourse (politics, religion, education) have become a form of show business. At the start of the book he has his students go on a 24 hour electronic fast and write about their experience. So, for a 24 hour period I will take no calls, no computer, no car, no radio or television, no movies, no Internet etc. I will not use anything that has an electronic outlet and I will walk or ride my skateboard. The great news is that I can still surf and read! Isn't it ironic that I am blogging about an e-fast? So the fast will start this Saturday morning, February 12 and I will let you know how it goes.

7 comments:

  1. Good luck! I am not sure I could do it. Sounds like an interesting read. love ya, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, I'll text you on Saturday to see how it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt:

    How refreshing, reminds me of a few days at the island on the hook. When you do plug back in, you'll hear the same BS from the media. It will be like you didn't miss a beat.

    Enjoy the serenity.

    The capt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, heard you did this for two days. Did it feel like you had a lot more time in the day? Did you feel less stressed? What a great idea. Congrats. Hugs, Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matt, anxious to hear how it went. Good for you! Sounds like a very interesting experience.
    Love ya, Sandy

    ReplyDelete